Law Summary

Maine Gun Laws

  Open Carry: Lawful
  Duty to Notify Law Enforcement: If permitted there is no duty to notify until asked. If carrying under constitutional carry one must notify upon official contact.
  State Parks: Carry in State Parks and Acadia National Park is legal ONLY with an honored permit. Open carry is not permitted.
  Restaurants Serving Alcohol: Concealed Carry lawful if not posted otherwise
  Firearms at Colleges: Schools individually decide the weapons policy.
  Firearms at K-12 Schools: Firearm possession fully prohibited
  Church Carry: Churches act like any other private property and may restrict
on a church by church basis
  Hotels: No legal restriction - Reference article on page 67
  Magazine Capacity Limitations: No restrictions
  Suppressor Ownership: Lawful
  Vehicle Possession Without Recognized Permit: Anyone 21+ may carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle
  Firearm Law Uniformity: Uniform throughout State
  Permit Training Requirements: Basically any NRA official course qualifies.
  Non-Resident Permits: Non-residents may apply
  Constitutional Carry: Yes. Both residents and non-residents 21+ may carry concealed without a permit.
  Duty to Retreat: Duty to Retreat before using Deadly Force except when in your dwelling (108.2)
  Places Off Limits: Courthouses (17-A M.R.S. § 1058)
State Parks (12 M.R.S. § 1803(6), (7) and Bureau of Parks and Lands Rules Chapter 1)
Acadia National Park (12 M.R.S. § 756)
Schools (20-A M.R.S. § 6552)
Federal buildings (18 U.S.C. § 930)
State Capitol area (25 M.R.S. § 2904 & DPS Rule Chapter 41)
Private property when prohibited by the property owner
Establishments licensed for on-premises consumption of liquor, if the premises are posted. Note that even if there is no posted prohibition, it is illegal to carry on these premises while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs. (17-A M.R.S. §1057)
Wildlife Sanctuaries (as listed in 12 M.R.S. § 12707)
Labor disputes and strikes (32 M.R.S. § 9412(5))
Baxter State Park (as prohibited by Rules)
Allagash Wilderness Waterway (as prohibited by rules)
  Resident Permit Reciprocity:
  State Contact Info: Maine Dept. of Public Safety
45 Commerce / State House 164
Augusta ME 04333
  Permit Issuing Authority: Depending on where you live you may need to apply directly to the state police. Otherwise you may need to apply from your local issuing authority.
  Length of Permit Validity: 4 Years
  Permit Application Process: Submit paperwork along with the fee and proof of training.
While Concealed Carry Inc strives to maintain legal reference information updated on this website; you as the reader and gun owner are responsible to do any and all necessary research and consult with a local attorney before making any decisions. Concealed Carry Inc is not liable for any misinformation, inaccuracies, or actions taken based on this information. We are not attorneys and this information is not legal advice. If you see any information you feel is outdated or incorrect please contact us.

Legal Summaries for all 50 states are available free on our site and mobile app.